About Michael Kress
• Manage day-to-day operations for Guideposts.org and supervise five-person editorial staff.
• Oversee final stages of site relaunch/redesign, scheduled for November 2014 launch.
• Led all aspects of editorial development, managed 7-person editorial staff, and oversee content budget for premier parenting website that averages 10.5 million monthly users (via Omniture).
• Grew Parents Network from #13 to #5 in comScore’s Family & Parenting category, including more than 30% year-over-year expansion in the past 12 months.
• Managed creation of 300 how-to videos per year and grew organic (unpaid) video views to over 500K per month.
• Transformed Parents into the category leader in social media, with more than 1.4 million Facebook “likes,” more than 873K Twitter followers, and more than 137K Pinterest followers. Launched and grew new presences on Tumblr, Flipboard, and Instagram.
• Boosted content production from a few dozen to more than 500 articles, slideshows, blog posts, videos, and quizzes per month.
• Managed product releases, working closely with the technology, design, sales, and audience engagement teams to create traffic- and revenue-building tools and apps.
• Led major site relaunch/redesign project, which debuted in July 2012. Became first site in our category to be responsive, leading to more than 120% year-over-year mobile traffic growth.
• Maximized revenue opportunities by creating sponsored programs, launching highly sellable new initiatives, and educating sellers on upcoming Parents.com projects of interest to advertisers.
• Guaranteed that Parents.com reflected the quality and vision of the Parents magazine brand as well as digital best practices, serving users and business needs simultaneously.
• Developed and implemented editorial strategy in coordination with companywide goals and business objectives, and set short- and long-term goals for editorial team.
• Directed editorial development and managed 12-person content and community staff for a news and lifestyle website that attracts 3 million unique visitors per month and has received multiple awards, including a National Magazine Award, an Online Journalism Award, and several Webby Awards.
• Managed editorial budget, including staffing decisions, 40+ bloggers, dozens of freelance writers, and partners/vendors.
Published in Newsweek, The Boston Globe, The Dallas Morning News, Slate.com, Salon.com, The Forward, and many other leading websites, magazines, and newspapers.
• Head of content for award-winning, mass-market educational website.
• Conceived site architecture, editorial approach, brand voice, and user experience, shepherding the site from idea to reality.
• Managed all aspects of the editorial process: set editorial policy; negotiated content agreements; designed content approach; oversaw budget; set scope of coverage.
Channel editor for VC-funded web start-up. Joined pre-launch.